While you should not be afraid of the world it is definitely important to be aware of it. No matter what country or state you are in travelers can sometimes become targets due to your vulnerability of not being from the area.
“In peace I will lie down and sleep, for you alone, Lord, make me dwell in safety.” Psalm 4:8 NIV
Here are a few tips for remaining safe when staying in a hotel overseas:
- Provide your hotel information to someone you trust
In case of an emergency it is good for someone back home to know where you are at all times and how to get in contact with you.
- Be aware of your surroundings when entering and leaving your hotel
While we do not want you to be paranoid it is good to take note of your surroundings and who is hanging around to make sure are not being followed.
- If you plan to take a car service, such as uber or lyft, try to meet them at a location near the hotel rather than directly in front of it.
If possible walk to the nearest location away from the hotel, for those who use these car app services you know that you get a different driver each time. To reduce the amount of people that know where you are staying, do your best to meet them outside of the hotel. While car services such as uber or lyft do their best to vet and hire competent and safe drivers, this will add another layer of security.
- Be mindful of who you provide your hotel information to. Do your best to not provide it to strangers.
Referencing number three, the less strangers you provide your hotel information to the better. To ensure your privacy and protection it is best to share this with only people you trust. Preferably back home and at least one or two people in the area you are visiting.
- Before checking in to the hotel do your research a head of time and learn about the area and other traveler’s experiences.
Doing your research, reading reviews, and testimonials can help you make an informed decision before booking or even checking into a hotel. Get to know the area to the best of your ability so you can be aware of where you are staying.